Access Partners


Access Partners

History Castillo de Locubin


Data Municipality


- Country Espaa
- Autonomous Region Andalucia
- Province Jan
- Region Sierra Sur
- Location 3731'N, 356'O
- Altitude 706 msnm
- Distance 68 km a Jan
- Surface 104 km
- Population 4.887 hab. (INE 2007)
- Density 46,99 hab./km
- Gentiliceo Castillero
- Postal code 23670
- Telephone 953 59 XX XX

Situation

Municipality pertaining to the region of Sierra Sur of which it occupies a central portion. The municipality is very rugged mountains to the south, east, west and northeast of more than 1,000 m above sea level on land and open plain of San Juan River, northwest. The village lies at the bottom of the great depression forming these mountains and along the birth of the San Juan River. Nevertheless 70% of the municipal area is cultivated. Economic activity is based on agriculture and animal husbandry, cultivation of olive trees being the largest, followed by cherry. The plain of the river is very rich in fruit and vegetable.

Monuments

Church of San Pedro, end of century XVI. The main cover of the church is attributed to Juan de Aranda Salazar.

Archaeological deposits:

  • Archaeological zone of Encina Hermosa. Spa and Roman remains.
  • Castle of the Villeta. Linen cloths of the wall and towers of this castle are conserved that was conquered by Alfonso XI in 1341.
  • Mill tower, century XV.

Celebrations

Verbena of the Carmen (07/16):
In the Plaza del Carmen, develops verbena in which not lack the traditional fruit punch with tripping.

Festivities in honor of Nuestro Padre Jesus Nazareno (09/7):
Account tradition that during the relocation of the stature of the Nazarene in Alcala la Real, carriers did night in Castillo, the next day, the burden became so heavy that it was impossible to continue the journey. Given this fact, he built a hermitage Castillero and converted to the Nazarene in the village pattern. In his honor, feasts are held in the first fortnight of September with games and sporting contests, musical performances and popular folk festivals.

Feast of the Cherry (First half of June):
This celebration has its beginnings in 1983, with the aim of the promotion and diffusion of this so important product in our region.

Between the activities that are realized is the winning prescription compilation of the Gastronomical Contests of the Celebration of the Cherry of previous years, as much in the Dessert specialty like in the one of Special Plates.

During the days of celebration you can sample and buy cherries, liqueurs, products made from cherry, handicrafts, ceramics, etc.. Today cherries Castillo de Locubn exported to various locations and the most part, on its own merits, the most exquisite jams that occur in the rest of Europe.

History

The first testimonies of the human presence in this municipality go back to IV the millenium before Christ, in the caves of the Plate and the Scrap iron, lived by a group of shepherds who made ceramic decorated with incisions. Of the Age of the Bronze or Final Copper it is the town of the Bell near the Sale of the Pool.

In his municipality is located the village of Head of Lower Encina Hermosa, who has been identified with Ipolcobulcula. A large population center fortified, nine hectares, founded in a moment late in the Iberian culture and that reached its development at the stage altoimperial Roman, in the s. I of our era. Another time Iberian settlement and remained in Roman times is the Tower of Gorgolla. At the corresponding stage imperial Roman villa of the Cortijo del Bao, en Venta del Carrizal.

During phase Islamic Hins was known as al-Uqbin, some translated by Castle of the eagles and other by Castillo de las Cuevas. During the last decades of the ninth century and the initials of X, was involved in the revolt Mulad. In the 918, the caliph Abd al-Rahman III crushed the rebellion. Following the breakdown of the unit kept the caliphate, Castle Locubn remain in the hands of the Zire of Granada and later in the district cadastral led by the Alcala la real. Through his border position it spent several times of Muslim hands to Castilian.

In the days of the conquests of Fernando III it comprised of the territories of the Order of Calatrava, constituting one of the advanced limits of the charge of Martos. Definitively he was conquered by Alfonso XI in 1341 and four years later the king signed in Burgos a Privilege by which donated the town and castle to the city of Alcala la real one, like thanks to his services.

This civil and religious dependancy of Castle with respect to Alcala the Real one lasted until the first decades of the XIX. In the year the 1600 neighbors demanded for the first time and without success their segregation. In 1627 king Felipe IV sold the place to the Marquess of Trujillo, which meant its segregation. But this situation lasted little, in 1693 it happens again to Corona and in 1698 returns to the jurisdiction of Alcala the Real. In 1729 the separation was asked for by means of lawsuit, but they gained the arguments of Alcala la real again .

The first testimonies of the human presence in this municipality go back to IV the millenium before Christ, in the caves of the Plate and the Scrap iron, lived by a group of shepherds who made ceramic decorated with incisions. Of the Age of the Bronze or Final Copper it is the town of the Bell near the Venta del charco.

In the Castillo de Locubin is located the village of Head of Lower Encima Hermosa, who has been identified with Ipolcobulcula. A large population center fortified, nine hectares, founded in a moment late in the Iberian culture and that reached its development at the stage altoimperial Roman, in the s. I of our era. Another time Iberian settlement and remained in Roman times is the Tower of Gorgolla. At the corresponding stage imperial Roman villa of the House of Bath, Sale of Carrizal. During phase Islamic Hins was known as al-Uqbin, some translated by Castle of the eagles and other by Castillo de las Cuevas. During the last decades of the ninth century and the initials of X, was involved in the revolt Mulad. In the 918, the caliph Abd al-Rahman III crushed the rebellion. Following the breakdown of the unit kept the caliphate, Castle Locubn remain in the hands of the Zire of Granada and later in the district cadastral led by the Alcala la real. For its border position went several times to Castilian Muslim hands. In times of the conquests of Ferdinand III was part of the territories of the Order of Calatrava, one of the limits of the entrustment of advanced Martos. It was finally conquered by Alfonso XI in 1341 and four years later the king signed in Burgos a privilege for which people donated the castle and the town of Alcala la Real, as through its service. This dependence civil and religious Castle regarding Alcala la Real lasted until the early decades of the nineteenth century. In the year 1600 neighbors called for the first time without success and their segregation. In 1627 King Philip IV was selling the place to Marquis de Trujillo, which meant its segregation. But this situation was short-lived, in 1693 happens again to the Crown in 1698 and is returned to the jurisdiction alcalana. In 1729 lawsuit by requesting the separation, but again won the arguments of Alcala la Real. Throughout this period the population grew and strengthened, if in 1627 had a population of 400 residents in early nineteenth number rose to 1,075 since the end of the century were 6,274 inhabitants.